Centrify provides a DNS subsystem that bypasses the local DNS resolver to address common issues that occur with many local DNS resolvers. These common issues for local DNS resolvers include:
- Degraded performance when connecting to a slow DNS server or when attempting to use dead DNS servers.
- Degraded performance when reacquiring a DNS server that went offline and has come back online.
- Degraded performance related to DNS timeouts.
- Platform-related DNS idiosyncrasies, such as MDNS, appending.LOCAL suffixes, and so on.
The Centrify DNS subsystem performs the following functions:
- Looks up hosts by name.
- Looks up hosts by IP address.
- Queries DNS service location records (SRV) to discover the domain controllers that support Active Directory services including KDC, KPASSWD, LDAP and the global catalog.