Modifying indexed attributes for zones
Depending on the requirements of your organization, you might see improved performance either by creating standard Centrify zones rather than RFC2307-compatible zones or by indexing the uid attribute in default zones. Before selecting a strategy for all or selected zones, however, you should consider that indexing the uid attribute requires you to modify the Active Directory schema.
Modifying the Active Directory schema is an advanced operation that should only be performed by experienced administrators. In addition, you must be a member of the Domain Admins group or the Enterprise Admins group in Active Directory or been delegated similar authority to perform this operation. If you choose to modify the schema to improve performance, you can use “Run as ...” to select an account with appropriate permissions before performing the following steps.
To index an attribute:
Open a Command Prompt window, then type the following command to register the schema management assembly on your computer:
- Click Start, click Run, type mmc /a, then click OK.
- In the console root, select the File menu, then click Add/Remove Snap-in.
- Under Available Standalone Snap-ins, double-click Active Directory Schema, click Add, then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Save, navigate to the %systemroot%/Sytem32 directory, type a file name for the console, then click Save.
Click Start > All Programs to select the Administrative Tools folder, right-click, then select Open.
- If necessary, select Organize > Layout > Menu bar to display menus.
- On the File menu, select New, then click Shortcut.
- In the Create Shortcut Wizard, click in Type the location of the item, type the name you used for the file in Step 5, then click Next.
- Select the file name in Type a name for this shortcut field, type Active Directory Schema, then click Finish.
- Click Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools to select Active Directory Schema, right-click, then select Open.
- Expand Attributes to select a specific attribute, such as uid, right-click, then select Properties.
- Select Index this attribute, then click OK.