Specifying the model (printer driver)
Model specifies the model name of the added printer and is used to determine which device driver to associate with the printer. Be certain to specify model correctly, otherwise, if model is not specified, or does not match a driver installed on the client Mac OX X computer, Generic PostScript driver will be selected for the printer, which may result in fewer printing options.
To find the correct model name, take one of these two approaches:
Use Printers & Scanners to identify the model:
- On a Mac OX X computer, open System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.
- Click Add (+) to add a printer.
- When you select a printer, the correct model name appears on the "Use" drop down menu.
Use lpinfo to identify the model
- On a Mac OX X computer, open the Terminal application.
- Run the following command to obtain the list of all the models available:
"lpinfo -m" command
In the output from
lpinfo, the correct model string appears right after
*.ppd.gz. For example:
Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP Photosmart C6100 Series Fax.ppd.gz HP Photosmart C6100 series. Fax
The model string is:
HP Photosmart C6100 series. Fax
Type this in the group policy’s Model field.